Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Turkey nuggets

I discovered half of a large turkey breast lurking in the back of my freezer. Unfortunately it has been sitting there for almost two months, so I was worried about "freezer taste". I figured that if I soak the meat for a good while in lukewarm water and then marinate it with some exotic spices, things will turn out all right. And they did.

I read somewhere about using cardamom in a meat dish but I did not taste such a dish yet. So I thought that this was as good a time as ever for experimentation. This is what I did.



I cut the meat into relatively small pieces, then I marinated them for half an hour with the following spices:

1 lb turkey breast pieces
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 crushed garlic
dash ginger powder
salt, pepper

Then I made a batter by putting in the blender:

½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
3 tablespoon sour cream
½ teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt, pepper to taste

I poured this on the meat pieces and let it sit for another 15 minutes. In the meantime I lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil and sprayed that with PAM. Then I mixed into the meat 2 tablespoon cornmeal and arranged the pieces on the baking pan. I drizzled a little extra oil on the whole thing and then let it bake under the broiler. When one side got a nice colour, I turned the pieces over to give the other side a chance.

We had a nice coleslaw as an accompaniment, as well as some dipping sauces. Some of us had pitas alongside, refreshed under the hot grill, others who have wheat sensitivity (like myself) went with parsleyed rice.

It was a bit of an unusual taste experience but we liked it, I will definitely repeat it!

No comments: