Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My new beet relish

An interesting thing happened today.  My family loves beet relish.  I usually make it the traditional way, using beets, a few spoonfuls of prepared hot horseradish, a sprinkling of ground caraway seeds, vinegar, a bit of sugar and salt.

I cooked a batch of beets, got it grated, and then I realized that we happened to be out of horseradish.  Quickly dashed over to the nearest supermarket, ran to the usual spot where they keep it...  nothing.  I got two attendants whipped into action to keep looking for some, but when nothing was forthcoming I went to check out with the intention of trying my luck elsewhere.  I already paid when one of the attendants appeared, beathlessly waving a small jar.  Than you, thank you!  I paid for that, too, and came home.  With the bowl of unfinished relish waiting for me on the counter I quickly unscrewed the top of the jar, only to realize that it was not pure horseradish but horseradish sauce.  
















Well, the manfolk was waiting and the jar was open.  So...  I added a generous amount of the sauce and presented the new relish.  To my surprise, the reception was very warm, as a matter of fact they now insist that in the future I use this sauce instead of just plain horseradish. 



No comments: