Friday, May 16, 2008

Spicy chicken with corn


You may have noticed that this blog is all about speedy dishes. Today I again managed to throw together a nice - and fast! - dinner. For the main dish I made this easy chicken dish, while a pot of pasta was cooking in the background, and my older son chopped up a bowl of salad ingredients. For dessert we had the apple squares featured below, which is another fast and tasty favourite of my family.

Chicken

2 or 3 large breasts
1 onion
2 tablespoon oil
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
2-3 cups frozen corn
1 cup canned tomato sauce
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) hot pepper

Cut the breast into small chunks, chop the vegetables. Fry the onion in the oil until it softens a bit, add the peppers and saute them together for a few minutes. Add the chicken and let the cubes fry with the veggies until all of them turn white. (I started to work on the dessert - see below - while this was going on.)

When I saw that the chicken cooked through, I added the corn and the tomato sauce, together with the spices, covered the pot and let the dish simmer until everything and everybody was ready.

For hot pepper I use hot Korean paprika, the kind they use for making kimchi. Very powerful stuff, but my family loves spicy food. I also have at home and use other heat producing substances, from ground American chili peppers to hot Thai ground chilies preserved in oil.

While the chicken was simmering away, I finished the dessert, shoved it in the oven, drained the pasta, dressed it, and finally mixed the salad with some salad dressing I keep in the fridge. We were just sitting down to the table when the squares finished baking, so I pulled the pan out, cut a few squares and set them on a large plate to cool while we had dinner. By the time we finished the main course, the squares cooled just enough so we could serve them. Some of the younger, sportier members added a little extra ice cream on top.

No comments: