Friday, May 02, 2008

Well dressed veal

After a lengthy struggle with post-surgery problems (wisdom-tooth extraction with complications - see my Musingspace blog) I decided to get busy in the kitchen again.





I had a nice slab of lean veal, which I put in the freezer for a short while and then sliced it thin. I sprinkled each slice with a little pepper, then I crushed a big fat clove of garlic with half a teaspoon of salt and smeared a bit on each piece. I stacked them, covered them with plastic wrap and put them aside.

Next I chopped up half an onion finely, put it in a pan with a tablespoon of oil and let it saute slowly, stirring occasionally, while I peeled some potatoes. I grated these using the grater disk with the large holes of the food processor. When all in a bowl, I rinsed it in water, squeezed it as dry as possible and added it to the onions which tarted to turn golden here and there. First I put a lid on the pan and let it steam for a while, while I peeled and julienned a few carrots. I peeled a couple of apples, too (the green, sour variety is better then a too sweet kind), chopping them fine. When that was done, I checked the potato which was half cooked by that time. I raised the heat, added a bit more oil and fried it stirring constantly until it started to colour a bit, at which point I added salt and pepper to taste and put it aside.

Next I sauted the carrots with the apples over a tablespoon of butter (olive oil would do, too), added some salt, pepper, a teaspoonful of curry powder and a pinch of cinnamon, and kept stirring until started to go limp but was still crisp a bit. I would have liked to add some anise, too, but my husband doesn't quite like it. Nevertheless it turned out very nice and fragrant.

Now that the side dishes were ready, I kept those hot on lowest heat on the stove while I quick fried the meat slices.

I arranged the plates by spooning some of the potatoes in the middle, covering those with the meat slice, and then putting a neat pile of the carrot mix on the top. I planned to also place a sprig of parsley on the side for colour, but when I looked in the fridge I found that they were all old and yellow. Oh well...

No comments: