Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Daikon radish salad - basic

A lot of people rejects this radish because they cannot take its "bite".  It is quite easy to take care of that.  After I grate the radish, I salt it a bit and let it sit for a few minutes.  It will release some of its liquid content which will greatly reduce the spiciness.  Handful by handful I squeeze out this liquid and shake the radish bits into a bowl.  Once I have it all, I taste it to see of it is not too salty, or still too hot.  If so, I give it a little rinse and squeeze it dry again.

Placing it in a bowl, I add a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise, not too much so it does not overwhelm the radish flavor.  Then I add a pinch of sugar, a sprinkling of salt if necessary, and that is that.  I have the radish base for a nice salad.

To top it all off, you can crumble a can of tuna on it, or canned crabmeat (real or imitation), sesame or other seeds. Chopped up scallions, chopped parsley, dill or aspoonful of grated carrots can add color to it.

Yum...!

No comments: